"You can't explain obsession, Tom. It just is."
-Lynette Scavo, Desperate Housewives, "I Wish I Could Forget You"

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Some Really Random Thoughts...

1) Amy Poehler/Parks and Rec were robbed at the Emmys tonight.  And I say this as someone who is a fan of Modern Family as well.

2) As much as the whole Tom/Lynette breakup kills me,  I think that this whole body coverup plot really irks me even more.  It feels like jump the shark material to me (although who knows; maybe it will be the best plot ever).  And...

3) Add to that that Tom and Lynette ARE broken up and (spoiler) it looks less and less likely that they're actually going to separate to work on their problems, and you're looking at the first season I'm really not looking forward to.


4) Although this body coverup seems beyond stupid to me, I wonder if I would be more enthused if it had been Tom/Lynette-centric instead of Gaby/Carlos.  Especially since part of what bothers me is that they had kind of resolved the whole Alejandro thing earlier in the season.  Bringing it back again at the end seemed ridiculous.  And I've been thinking lately that they could have taken Tom and Lynette in a much more interesting, dramatic direction if the plot was centered around them.


5) But isn't the breakup interesting and dramatic?  Yes and no.  I mean, I guess it's different, which is good (these characters NEED a change).  But from what I've read, I worry that deep down it's going to be the same old conflicts (dealing with disciplining the kids, jealousy of other women, Lynette trying to control things beyond her control), only now they won't be together.  And then some huge tragedy will bring them back together without any problems being resolved.  So in the end, what is the point?


6) That all said, I STILL haven't decided if I'm going to watch next week or not.  


7) But I probably am.


8) Despite the fact that I'm less than enthused about Desperate Housewives, I am happy that Parks and Rec is starting again.  Not only because it's one of my favorite shows, but also because...


9) Ben and Leslie have become my other favorite TV couple.


10) But I would bet a lot of money that they're going to break up too.


11) Despite all of this, I am still really excited for new TV this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment