"You can't explain obsession, Tom. It just is."
-Lynette Scavo, Desperate Housewives, "I Wish I Could Forget You"

Sunday, March 14, 2010

DH "Chromolume #7" Thoughts

I probably won't have time to do a full recap this week, but this episode generated a lot of mixed feelings for me so I thought I'd write down a general review.

"Chromolume #7"

Susan and Mike

For the second week in a row, I feel like Susan and Mike were the tacked on plotline. It's almost as if the writers have nothing for them to do when they're not directly involved in the mystery story. Overall I liked this week better than last week though, even if Mike was acting like a douche. It was still better than having to see Susan act like an idiot.

I didn't mind the overall premise that Mike felt castrated by Susan paying off his loan. I was fine with him having his "manlihood" (as my sis kept calling it) brought into question. And I laughed when Susan said he was a good transition for Katherine. The only thing that bothered me was at the end when Susan agreed to cancel payment on the loan. I wanted her to stand up for herself because she was totally in the right to pay off that loan. They're married now. As I keep telling my co-worker who believes her debt is not her husband's: once you're married it's shared debt! Susan should have told Mike that she understood how he felt, but that they would be better off financially getting that paid off. She could console him by reminding him that he's still the primary breadwinner in the family.

That being said, I loved the kitchen make-out scene. That cracked me up. It was surprisingly the funniest moment of the episode.

Preston's homecoming

I felt like this was mostly a set-up for this story. I got a few chuckles out of these scenes tonight but no big laughs. It was very standard Lynette and Tom and I still love how well they know each other. That silent communication rocks.

I kind of wish that they'd taken a different direction with this plot. Preston could have come home already married with no place to live, no job, no education, etc. and caused a lot of problems. Or if they wanted to take the engagement route it could have been interesting if for once Lynette was the trusting one and the rest of the family thought something was up. And I say that as someone who is truly looking forward to Lynette kicking this girl's ass in the future.

One nitpick: Lynette had a grandmother that was alive long enough to decide to will Preston her ring? But she was never on previously or mentioned before? I kind of wish they had made it her aunt's since we know that 1) Lynette was close enough to her to want to name her daughter after her and 2) it was previously mentioned that her mom used to ditch her and her sisters there when she was off drinking and sleeping around. At least it would have been in context. Or they even could have made it Tom's grandmother's; even that would have been more plausible in light of the family history.


New York girls

I thought this plot was the worst of the night. I'll start with Gaby. As much as I love Heidi Klum, her appearance and Paulina Porizkova's felt completely trite and pointless. I wonder how much of the budget they wasted on their two minutes of on-screen time. And just for Gaby to learn a lesson she already learned in season three. It was dull.

As far as Angie goes, I am completely over her. She's boring. Everything we learned tonight was stuff that was already deduced. Even my sister, who lives under a rock and NEVER knows what's going to happen, rolled her eyes at the obvious revelation that Patrick is Danny's father. I'll say it before and I'll say it again: I hope all of the Bolens die at the end of this season.

Bree, Sam and Andrew

I'll say right off the bat that I adored drunk Andrew. I loved that he shoved Sam. That whole scene was awesome.

Surprisingly, I had no clue about Sam's paternity. That was the biggest shock this show has given me in a long while and I forgot how fun it is to be surprised. Maybe I'll stay off of the spoilers even after Lent is over.

As much as I love a surprise like that, though, I'm not sure that I feel great about this one. Mostly because they rewrote Rex and Bree's history to fit around it and I don't like that. It was stated several times in the early seasons that Bree and Rex were college sweethearts. They probably got married soon afterward. Not to mention that Andrew should be in his late 20s by now (nearly close to 30 if you consider that he was 16 when the Scavo twins were 6). Whatever; I should know by now not to fight the DH Time Gods.

Besides that, this is a complete retread of the Kayla storyline of season three. A one night stand again? Really, show? And I'm sure Sam will still turn out to be a complete psycho, just like Kayla. The only thing that has better potential is that I'm sure there will be a lot more sibling drama. And maybe I'll get an awesome Bree-Lynette convo out of it. Probably not. But I can dream.

I guess what it comes down to is that as much as DH is a soap, this feels much, much, much too soap opera-esque for me. And not even good soap that I could suspend my disbelief for, but rather bad soap. Part of me is kind of hoping that Sam just photoshopped his picture with Rex's somehow and is pulling the wool over Bree's eyes.

Overall

I think I'd give this episode a C. It was one of the weakest of the season and I'm not eager to rewatch any of it. It left me feeling really melancholy and I have to keep reminding myself that overall this season has had some stellar moments and episodes. Here's hoping the end of the season gets back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment